Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Lyrics: "Satyamev Jayate" Title Song

Here is my transliteration and translation of the title song Aamir Khan's "Satyamev Jayate" which I previously have written about. It is not clear exactly who the lyrics are addressing -- it could be a lover, God, one's country, etc. In any case, the original lyrics in Hindi are so beautiful, with extensive metaphors throughout. I tried the best to convey this imagery in English -- but it's difficult!

Note: read column-wise, not row-wise!

तेरा रंग ऐसा चढ़ गया
Your color has spread

कोई और रंग न चढ़ सके
Such that no other color may

तेरा नाम सीने पे लिखा
I wrote your name on my chest

हर कोई आँखें पढ़ सकें
Such that every eye may read it


है जुनून है जुनून है
This is obsessive passion

तेरे इश्क का यह जुनून है
This is passion for your love

रग रग में इश्क तेरा दौड़ता
Your love runs through my veins

यह बावरा सा खून है
This is eccentric, crazy blood

तू ने ही सिखाया सचाइयों का मतलब
Only you have taught me the meaning of truth

तेरे पास आके जाना मैं ने ज़िन्दगी का मक़सद
Having come close to you, I've realized life's intent

सत्यमेव सत्यमेव सत्वय्मेव जयते
"Satyamev Jayate" -- Truth alone triumphs

सचा है प्यार तेरा
You're love is true

सत्यमेव जयते
Truth alone triumphs


तेरे नूर के दस्तूर में
In the tradition of your divine light

न हो सलवटें न हो सीखन रहें
There are no wrinkles; there exist no creases

मेरी कोशिशें तो है बस यहीं
My efforts are only such that

रहें खुशबूएं  गुलशन रहे
The fragrances and rose gardens live on

तेरी ज़ुल्फ़ सुलझाने चला
I went to disentangle your tresses

तेरे और पास आने चला
I started to come close to you

जहां कोई सुर न हो बेसुरा
Where no melody can lack harmony

वह गीत मैं गाने चला
I began to sing that song


तेरा रंग ऐसा चढ़ गया
Your color has spread

था नशा जो भी और बढ़ गया
Such that the existing intoxication increased

तेरी बारिशों का करम है यह
These are showers of your benevolence

मैं निखर गया मैं संवर गया
I became cleansed; I reformed


जैसा भी हूँ अपना मुझे
How ever I am, make me yours

मुझे यह नहीं है बोलना
I must not have to speak this

क़ाबिल तेरे मैं बन सकूं
I shall become worthy of you

मुझे द्वार ऐसा खोलना
Just open such a door for me

सांसों की इस रफ़्तार को
This speed of breath

धड़कन के इस त्यौहार को
This festival of heartbeats

हर जीत को हर हार को
Each victory, each defeat

ख़ुद अपने इस संसार को
Even my entire world

बदलूँगा मैं...तेरे लिए
I will change it all...just for you!


मुझे ख़ुद को भी है टटोलना
I must also examine myself

कहीं है कमी तो है बोलना
If there is something lacking, I must admit to it

कहीं दागें हैं तो छुपाएं क्यों
Somewhere there are stains and scars, so why hide them

हम सच से नज़रें हटाएं क्यों
Why should we turn a blind eye from the truth?


ख़ुद को बदलना है अगर
If I must change

बदलूँगा मैं तेरे लिए
I will change just for you

शोलों पे चलना है अगर
If I must walk on flames

चल दूंगा मैं तेरे लिए
I will walk just for you

मेरे खून की हर बूंद में
In each drop of my blood

संकल्प हो तेरा प्यार का
Is a vow of my love for you

काटो मुझे तो तू बहे
When cut, you shall flow out

हो सुर्ख रंग हर धार का
Red shall be the color of each stream


No comments:

Post a Comment